segunda-feira, 13 de janeiro de 2014

M.I.A. for MSC

Alright, so I’m not going to Mid-Service Conference (MSC) in Maputo.  I see why not: I’ve already done all the medical, the dental, the labwork, the stool samples, and so on and so forth the week before I left for my 30-day leave in the states.  Now, I’ve never had any “mid-service” training, because we had to leave the country (Cape Verde) during the middle of our service to re-start again for “Pre-Service Training.”  I’ve ranted about this before; I won’t do it again.  But I would guess that MSC sessions deal with reflections on our first year of service, possible challenges in our second year, things to be done differently.  I certainly don’t want nor need to re-do any of the medical stuff, and I wouldn’t want to sit through any of the sessions either, but I would so totally do it all if I could meet up with all the Moz19ers again.

            Okay, so this isn’t exactly my second year of service.  Or is it?  I mean, this is my 2nd year in Mozambique, though it is my 3rd year with Peace Corps.  But really it’s my 1st year in a new site, in the city of Chimoio.  If that makes any sense.

            It is probably better to just stay at site.  Since I’m the only CV transfer left, perhaps it’s better to keep Moz19 MSC, purely Moz19.  No need to pollute the crowd with Cape Verdean blah blah blah.  Plus, there are a bunch of good reasons to stay at site.  One, I actually like it here.   I don’t have this aching need to fugir (flee) like I did back in Cuamba.  And I still need to figure out how the system works at UCM where I’ll be working.  I’m also still just getting settled in a new house.  I find myself actually nesting, putting a bit more effort into making the place feel like home. 

            Still, I would really, really like to see all the Moz19ers again. 

            Maybe for COS in September 2014.  But here again, PC might say I’ve COSed (“Close of Service”) already.  Twice!  I will ask and pedir (beg) Peace Corps to let me participate in Moz19 COS, but it’s quite likely that I’ll never see the Moz19 group whole again. 


            So come visit me in Chimoio!  For those visiting from the south and central, I may request that you help cover the cost of utilities.  Does 50mts a night sound reasonable?  For those coming from the north, I think you deserve a special discount (i.e. stay for free).  You just need to get here first, Norte Forte.

2 comentários:

  1. I'm really sad you won't be at mid-service. It's not going to be Moz 19 without all the CV people. :-( But you know that I will definitely come and see you, and I expect you to come see me as well!

    ResponderEliminar