domingo, 5 de janeiro de 2014

Back in Mozambique

And glad to be back.  Last month I celebrated Christmas with folks in the states.  My parents were happy to see me, but not so happy that I wasn’t staying.  It’s hard to convince them that the distance between us is good for me, for all of us, and that I’m actually happier living and working abroad.  Every family is dysfunctional to some degree, I think, and mine is no exception.  Having been gone for over two years, and only staying temporarily for the holidays, definitely helped during our not so great holiday moments.  My mom is adorable and, to a certain extent, understanding, so it was relatively easy talking to her about my not staying.  My dad, not so adorable, and not so understanding, so it wasn’t as easy.  But hey, he’s my dad.  What can I say.  It is what it is.

I’ve been back for a week now.  Just moved to the city of Chimoio.  For New Year’s Eve, I hung out with Moz21ers Emma, Carly, Fei, Heather, Thelma, Aleesa, Brian, and Steven.  Other Moz19ers present were Haleigh and Taylor J.  Now, I have to say, our New Year's Eve wasn’t as emotional as it was last year.  Last year, the feeling of loss and being lost was almost overwhelming.  This year, I don’t know.  Don’t get me wrong, I had a good time with the PCVs here.  It just wasn’t so emotionally heavy, which is a good thing, I think.  It’s not that, after three New Year’s Eves outside of the U.S., I’ve become uncaring or disinterested.  I think I just didn’t have a lot of expectations this time or I wasn’t longing for something that wasn’t there.  Or maybe I was just out of it, recovering from jet-lag, or simply preoccupied with settling in to a new city and a new house.  Either way, even though New Year’s 2013 wasn’t by magnificent Lake Niassa (2012), or at the base of Fogo Volcano in Cape Verde (2011), it was still all good.  Or good enough for me, at least. 

About the house, by the way, it’s pretty damn grand.  Thanks to Universidade Católica de Mozambique em Chimoio, and Peace Corps staff Custodio, Ofelio and Osvaldo.  Special thanks also to RPCVs João and Don Juan.  João, rapaz de Calheta—I’ll see what I can do with that guitar (which I thought was Dan’s from Cabo Verde?), and you know I’m not much of a coffee drinker, but will probably become one now with your coffeemaker.  And Don, man, the trunk you left me is a lifesaver.  From bed sheets to kitchen utensils, clothespins to hangers, a bundle of rope to a bag full of preservativos.  Seriously, I’ll try to put it all to good use ;-)   

Again, I’m still settling in, so I haven’t taken pics, but will do so as soon as my things are in order.  I’m still waiting on PC to send me a box of my stuff from Nampula, and there are a few things in the house that need fixing.  My plan, once I get settled, is to invite my landlady and landlord, who live in a smaller house behind mine, for lunch or brunch (à la Colin).  But I’ve still got quite a bit to do before then, like fixing the gas stove, getting the gas tank filled, getting my mosquito nets up, getting my bedroom door fixed.
And we’re already supposed to start at UCM this coming Monday.

So, onwards and upwards and Feliz 2014!

1 comentário: